Friday, July 19, 2013

I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, but just can't get motivated to start anything new.
My sewing room was a disaster, so I thought I would get stuck in and start to tidy things up.
Mom's oxygen machine was kept in my sewing room, as it was too noisy to leave in her bedroom, but because it gave off so much heat it made my sewing room unusable.  I developed a bad habit of not putting things away properly, and as a result it looked like a bomb had gone off in there.

Sorting through the pile of UFOs in the closet,  I came across 10 applique blocks of Country Applique's Santa Series that I had started over 10 years ago.  I was teaching my Santa Sampler class at the time and thought I would make another quilt along with the class.  My thinking was since I had 2 children I would make one Santa quilt for each of them.  I made the mistake of challenging myself to work with a blue background,  not my favorite color, and as a result I lost interest and the blocks got shoved in the closet.
Well, I've dug them out and have started to put the quilt together.  I drafted out a different layout, and will be able to make a decent sized quilt and only have to make 2 more applique blocks to finish it.

Here are some photos.






I haven't decided what to do about the borders yet, but I have plenty of the background fabric left, so that won't be an issue.
I'll post photos later of my progress... as long as I don't get distracted! lol
After this, I came across 8 of the 12 " Twelve Days Of Christmas" from Brandywine Designs and will try to get them finished up.

Hope you are having an enjoyable summer, or winter, and the heat isn't too unbearable.
Bye for now.

4 comments:

Dolores said...

Hi Dorothy. Glad to see you posting again. It's nice to get some UFOs done (finally) and I'm working on some myself. Keep cool.

Doreen B said...

The blue background looks perfect for the santas.
Good luck in getting it finished!

marina said...

your santa blocks are so amazing, your applique is so beautiful.I am in awe.
I love this colourway too.
Hope these ufo's get your creativity happening again. Look forward to seeing your 12 days of christmas blocks too.

Allie said...

Oh my gosh those blocks are so gorgeous, Dorothy!!!!!

Post a Comment